Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Thought for late in the semester

Men often become
what they believe themselves to be.

If I believe I cannot do something,
it makes me incapable
of doing it.

But when I believe I can,
then I acquire the ability to do it
even if I didn't have it in the beginning.


--Mahatma Gandhi
***

I stole this from Swandive, but it's not the first time I'd seen it. Several years ago--I've forgotten exactly when--someone at Traditions in Olympia had scrawled the same quotation on their staff graffiti board. I noticed it, ran for pen and paper, and tucked it in the back of a journal somewhere. I was achingly lacking in self-confidence then, but I knew what I was missing. I don't know that I believed these words, but I wanted to. Now, I can appreciate the truth in them.

I don't even want to list all the pressures I feel right now, around school, summer, and figuring out next year. My friends here are similarly under the gun, so to speak; for many of them, it's about finding jobs. Pray for all of us, please.

I seem to find these things that feed my faith, or they find me, when I need them. I am grateful.

5 comments:

Mimi said...

Prayers.

Fran said...

Prayers in abundance for you, for your friends, for all.

Beautiful quotation, simply beautiful.

June Butler said...

Prayers from the other Mimi, too. Kirstin. I've been through some bad times in my life, but when I look back, it's amazing to me how many of my dreams have come true - which is saying more or less the same thing.

Rachel said...

(((((loveabundantforyou))))))
p.s. - love the new colors.

Anonymous said...

K -

I needed these words. So very much.

Thank you. Still praying for you as you recover from yesterday. Glad things went reasonably well.