Thursday, June 29, 2006

The New Zealand Lord's Prayer

I've gotten a couple of hits searching for the New Zealand Lord's Prayer. I alluded to it once, but never printed the text. As a courtesy to those who come here looking for it, here it is:

The Lord's Prayer

Eternal Spirit,
Earth-maker, Pain bearer, Life-giver,
Source of all that is and that shall be,
Father and Mother of us all,
Loving God, in whom is heaven:

The hallowing of your name echo through the universe!
The way of your justice be followed by the peoples of the world!
Your heavenly will be done by all created beings!
Your commonwealth of peace and freedom
sustain our hope and come on earth!

With the bread we need for today,
feed us.
In the hurts we absorb from one another,
forgive us.
In times of temptation and test,
strengthen us.
From trial too great to endure,
spare us.
From the grip of all that is evil,
free us.
For you reign in the glory of the power that is love,
now and forever. Amen.

From A New Zealand Prayer Book (Harper Collins, 1997), 181.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this and use it all the time.

:-)

liturgy said...

The original is by Jim Cotter
Prayer at Night
I think adapted from meditations by Louis Evely on the Lord's Prayer if I remember correctly.
NZ adapted Cotter's "Love-maker" which was thought to be a word too far :-)

Bosco Peters
www.liturgy.co.nz

Christmas Card Commentary said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Christmas Card Commentary said...

Went looking online for the text for this wonderful prayer for Sunday's service.... shoulda known I'd find it thanks to a fellow GTU student. Peace and thanks to you!

rksafey said...

What a lovely Lord prayer. I'm going use it on Sunday service when I am on intercession. If I may