Friday, June 23, 2006

RevGal Friday Five: Ice Cream

It's summer; let's take a break from church politics and have some fun.

1. Ice cream: for warm weather only or a year-round food?

Year-round. When the weather's too hot, ice cream melts too fast anyway.

2. Favorite flavor(s):

Two that I can't get anymore. Ben & Jerry's White Russian (yum!) and Cascadian Farms' blackberry sorbet/vanilla ice cream swirl. My friends and I used to get a carton of that, each grab a spoon, and pass the carton around. (Cascadian Farms is an organic-veggie outfit in northwestern WA. They've gotten out of the ice cream racket, in favor of frozen veggies.)

Oddly enough, I don't care much for ColdStone. They're pricier than they're worth. There's a gelato place by the Berkeley BART that I love.

3. Cake cone, sugar cone, waffle cone, cup?

Waffle cone.

4. Childhood ice-cream memory

Going to Baskin-Robbins after some horrible blood tests when I was a kid.

Also, it's not really ice cream, but I remember standing in the driveway one summer when I was about 7, dripping red popsicle juice on the cat. (She never noticed; she was too busy rubbing against my legs.)

Other memories, not necessarily from childhood:

We went to B&R at night really often, and I loved that. When my friends were there, we'd look at the clown faces; we didn't really want them, but they were fun to see.

Once as a teen, walking out of B&R, I knocked my ice cream off the cone. I caught it with my off hand, before it landed anywhere.

I went to another B&R with a friend and her kids, years ago (the oldest is driving now). I think the boys were 2 and 4-ish; I'm not entirely sure that their sister was ex utero yet. There was a group of teenagers in there, sitting on the floor, hanging out. These little ones sat on the floor with their backs to the counter, copying them.

There's a neat little walk-up window on the boardwalk in Olympia. I don't know how many times I walked that, looking at the boats or just hanging out downtown, with friends or by myself, trying to race the wind so I could finish my ice cream before it got all over me.

5. Banana splits: discuss.

Yuck.

Wanna play?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for playing!

Anonymous said...

Oooh, good topic!

Anonymous said...

Like your new colors! :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for dropping by my blog.

Mmmm...no wonder you miss the blackberry/vanilla swirl flavor. Though chocolate often wins for me, I do like good fruit sorbet flavors as well. I can occasionally find Cascadian Farms here in Texas; sorry they stopped doing ice cream. Don't they also do vegetarian entrees? Anymore, if it ain't frozen, I don't cook it.

Sorry...I shouldn't do stream of consciousness on your space. Again, so good to meet you, Kristin! Blessings to you.

Anonymous said...

Memories--buying a double scoop Baskin Robbins cone and having both scoops fall out as I turned away from the counter--neatly into my rapidly catching hand.

More memories--surviving a very, very, very hot day at the Ren Faire by eating an incredible quantity of tart lemon gelato.

Flavor I miss: Double Rainbow dark chocolate sorbet (almost a bitter chocolate) - mixed with their raspberry sorbet. Topped with a dollop of raspberry liquor and a handful of fresh raspberries and a dusting of good dark chocolate. Maybe Double Rainbow still makes this stuff. No one around here still carries it.