Friday, April 04, 2008

Emmaus Friday Five

From RevGalBlogPals.

With this Sunday's gospel reading in mind, that wonderful revelation of Christ to the companions on the Emmaus road. I wonder where you might have been surprised by God's revelation recently.

How has God revealed him/herself to you in a:

1. Book

This took some thought. There are lots of books I love, that I’ve learned from or found beauty in. I’m re-reading a book right now, for my advanced preaching class, that I love: The Beggar King and the Secret of Happiness, by Joel ben Izzy. It’s about a storyteller who loses his voice… and that’s all I’m going to tell you. It speaks to me because, in many ways, I’m finding mine.

I read a book over ten years ago now, that gave me wisdom I keep going back to. It’s an older Pema Chodron; I think the title is The Wisdom of No Escape. I borrowed it from my then-minister, at a time when I was feeling very lost. (“Lost” isn’t the right word; I knew who and where I was. I needed to get my life together, and had no idea what even the first steps might be.) One chapter is about “taking refuge.” She doesn’t mean hiding—it’s about finding your own courage; taking refuge in your strength (and that of your God, if you have one). Centering yourself, and going out bravely into the world.

Anyone who has followed this blog even over the past six months, knows I still need to keep that jewel close.

2.Film

I so rarely watch movies. I really can’t answer this question.

3. Song

Always, this:

"World Falls," Indigo Girls. This was the only version I could find a video of. Enjoy.

4. Another person

Yes, many. My best friend, a growing number of my teachers, several prophetic and pastoral leaders I can think of, a few friends in my hometown, friends in California, online community, everyone I met in New Orleans… I could go on.

Do they all know that I see God in them? No, but some do. The light I see in them shines from their own calling—they know that they are rooted in God. They do the work that’s theirs, with tremendous joy and love. And they show me the light in me, that I never see unless I’m told to look there.

5. Creation

Yes, and ever yes—every day I’m awake. I’m at the Ranch right now, and it’s beautiful. Last weekend, after the San Joaquin diocesan convention, the Apostle (formerly) in Exile and I bought a bunch of flowers, and planted them all over her yard. I love spring.

Bonus answer: your choice. Share something encouraging/ amazing/ humbling that has happened to you recently!

I had some doors fly open during Holy Week, prompted by no more than a question from me. One really surprisingly grace-filled encounter with a teacher, a “yes” to a question I asked another, and an e-mail out of blue-sky nowhere. All I can say from here is that I know I’m on my path. And thrilled about it.

6 comments:

Diane M. Roth said...

I like your part 2 of #4. It reminds me that when I see God in another person, sometimes I should tell them, not just keep it to myself.

thank you.

RevAnne said...

Thanks for your play! I like your #4 myself, and glad for your bonus answer--great to know you're headed the right way.

Rachel said...

if a song could tell a thousand stories... mmmmmm. what a wonderful five plus one.

June Butler said...

Lovely, Kirstin. God revealed himself to me in you. Just so you'll know.

And how are you feeling? I haven't asked in a while.

Paul said...

"And they show me the light in me, that I never see unless I’m told to look there."

It is often thus. Thank Godde for friends who help us see what we ignore in ourselves (the good, the bad, and the glorious).

Kirstin said...

Thank you, everyone.

Mimi, you do the same for me. Thank you. (And, I'm healing. Mostly now it tickles a lot.)