Monday, November 26, 2007

5 Things I'm Not Afraid Of Anymore

A twist on the meme below. If I’m going to talk about fear, I’m also going to celebrate the absence of it.

1) Anger

2) Loss

3) Grief

4) The idea that I’m not intrinsically “good enough”

5) Public speaking

None of these cause panic any more. I'm looking levelly at each of them. Of all of these, only (4) no longer exists—and that was a mountain in itself. Getting past the fear of each represents work, grace, love, and faith. I’ve learned so much about myself; I can do so much more than survive.

And I actually really enjoy preaching now. That process has always been transformative. I've learned to speak, to tell a story, to let the process transform me. I get to do it again at church in two weeks, and I’m really looking forward to it.

Alleluia, amen.

7 comments:

Paul said...

Hooray on all counts!

Kirstin said...

Thanks! [grin]

Episcopollyanna said...

Good for you!

Just thinking about public speaking makes me panic but I'm making baby steps. :)

Fran said...

This is really great to read and great for you!

I am terrified of heights and have done about one thing a year to challenge it, including things like zipline over a rainforest canopy in Costa Rica, climb things etc. It never goes away though, but I keep trying!

Fear has such powers over us though and whenever we can make movement against the fear, a good thing has happened.

Very nice blog!

Kirstin said...

Thank you, FranIAm!

Agreed, pushing fear away is a very good thing.

We have good friends in common, I see. :-)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations...it takes courage just to list our fears sometimes, and even more to overcome them!

Anonymous said...

Girl, if you've really recovered from what I call the "demon voices" of not good enough, you're a better woman than I! May God continue to protect you with His/Her immense wings!