Thursday, February 14, 2008

In search of time-management tips

These are all things I need to do; some today, and some as soon as possible:

• Read for my online church history class
• Post on Blackboard for same
• E-mail the sacristy and see if I can snag a preaching time*
• Look up when I’m preaching for class, and read those passages
• Finish my CDO profile (who am I kidding; all I’ve done is register)
• Send a couple of e-mails, that both take emotional energy and thought
• Pay a bill I’ve been forgetting—involving about a 30-minute round-trip walk
• Get my brakes fixed
• Organize my homework for the weekend

I also need to make an appointment with my advisor, and go to the bank. (Trying to add items to a bulleted list, in Blogger, only makes a mess.)

I’m going to the Ranch tonight, and will be there through Saturday. (I have to serve in church, before God gets up Sunday morning.) I’m capable of studying there, but will also be hosting, hiking at least a little, and catching up with my friends. So today is the best time I have for school. (I’m only staying through chapel tonight because one of my favorite people is preaching.)

When I had an adult life, I got the things done that I needed to. I kept commitments and I felt responsible. I’ve not been good at that, as a student. This is my last academic semester, and it’s still early. I’m trying to head off a mid-term breakdown, and just learn some basic skills. How do you organize your time, when there are lots of little things you need to do, and some that take more effort, focus, and energy?

*I actually did that, while I was writing this, and it took all of three seconds. So there’s one less thing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know I have opinions about this. One you already know - see your *. 2 minute rule: if I can do it in 2 minutes, it's easier to just do it rather than track it in my list of to-do items. Second, honor-thy-energy. Where am I (near a phone, near my computer, in the office, in the house, out running errands) and how much bandwidth do I have? When I'm fighting depression or just plain tired/fried, it's a good time to do scut work. Not a good time to face the project that's a huge challenge or that I'm afraid of. Both of these courtesy of David Allen and Merlin Mann.

Fran said...

Oh Kirstin, I hear you and send prayers.

As someone who worked full time until December, I somehow got things done.

Now I have much more trouble doing so, but I guess part of that for me is developing a routine.

I will have to return to work soon and that makes me wonder what will become of the blogging that I can barely keep up with now.

Not to mention about a zillion other practical matters.

peace to you sister!