Saturday, November 25, 2006

Easy way to donate for AIDS

Click on this post's title, light a virtual candle, and Bristol-Myers Squibb will donate a dollar to the National AIDS Fund. It looks legitimate.

World AIDS day is this Friday. I'll be at my church. If you're in the San Francisco Bay Area, come.

Tod, Lars, I remember you. I pray for my friends who lost hundreds of their loved ones. I pray for all who live with HIV infection, and all who love them. I pray for all who work for education, treatment, and access to both.

Be safe, everyone. And while you're here,visit the UNAIDS website to find out what you can do globally.

2 comments:

Deb said...

Hey thanks for this - I worked with an AIDS ministry in the 90s (until they went financially insolvent...) and this has always been an issue of my heart...

Deb

Kirstin said...

You're welcome (and thanks for delurking). I was young enough and sheltered enough in the '80s and '90s to have mostly missed the dark times, but I don't know anyone who hasn't been touched.

The abovementioned Tod graduated from a small, state-run liberal arts college with me; he was creative and passionate, and patient with a sheltered kid who wanted to hang out with him. The last time I saw him, we bumped into each other at the Pike Place Market in Seattle. He died a year later, in July 1993. I met Lars through church a few years after that; I didn't know him well, but I remember his light spirit. He died in 1995. Both were younger than I am now.

I'm across the bay from San Francisco now. The horror here has lightened, but people remember.

I hear what's happening in Africa and Asia, and my head won't wrap around it.